When online businesses came to the forefront, the need for maintaining finances increased. This saw many companies coming up with their own financial managers to serve a large number of entrepreneurs. QuickBooks is one of those applications which has made the life of business owners easier. It became possible through a set of features that is rare to find, and harder to access. In this blog, we will cover the QuickBooks multi-user mode not working issue, as reported by many.
QuickBooks does boast of a great interface, features like a multi-user modem, and robust coding, but still, it is not immune to errors. The aforementioned error usually reflects as QuickBooks multi-user mode not working error. You need not worry though, as we will cover the fixes in detail. Read the complete blog to find your preferred solution.
What is the QuickBooks Multi-user mode?
The built-in feature named QuickBooks Multi-user mode has helped many business concerns work smoothly with the application. As is clearly indicated by the name itself, with the help of this feature multiple users can work on the same company file together at a time.
In order to get access to this feature, each user must necessarily have a QuickBooks Licence on their workstation. The multi user mode QuickBooks not working issue arises when all the workstations log in to a company file located on the server computer. Sometimes the error is not even displayed. There are various forms of this error ranging from the inability to switch into multi-user mode to QuickBooks multi user mode not working.
Reasons Behind a User Facing QuickBooks Multi User Mode Not Working Error
- The server computer doesn’t have QuickBooks installed on it.
- Communication among user computers facing hindrance from Firewall or antivirus settings.
- The QuickBooks Database Server Manager is unable to access the QuickBooks company files.
- There are improper settings configured into the Windows file permissions.
- The host settings of the QuickBooks Desktop application on the server are incorrect.
- Corrupt or incorrect DNS settings.
Ways to Fix the Scenario of Multi User Mode QuickBooks Not Working
Option 1: Rename Files with TLG and ND Extension
Rename the *.TLG and the *.ND Files which are the network data and transaction log files in QuickBooks respectively. Damage to any of these files may create trouble in accessing the company file in QuickBooks. Renaming forces QuickBooks to create damage-free new ones. Before renaming the .TLG and .ND files follow the steps given below:
- Open QuickBooks Desktop Company File.
- Hit the F2 button on the homepage.
- When the Product Information window opens up, search the location of the Company File.
- Right-click on the .TLG and .QBW.ND files, found in the same folder and rename them.
Option 2: Database Server Manager to the Rescue
- Use QuickBooks Database Server Manager to help connect with the company file in multi-user mode.
- Scan the server server to detect the presence of a company file.
- Resolve the QuickBooks multi user mode not working error.
- Close the QuickBooks application.
- Download QuickBooks Tool Hub to an accessible location.
- Open QuickBooksToolHub.exe.
- Install it and then launch the QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
- Opt for the Network Issues and choose QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
- Start Scan for the company files after opening it..
- You may also Browse it from the location and then start scanning
- Firewall permissions are repaired with QDSM.
- Click on Close.
- Try to get your workstations into multi-user mode.
Option 3: Check Server Services
- Launch Windows Start menu on the server workstation.
- Open the Run command window by typing Run in the textbox.
- Type in services.msc into the Run window
- Hit Enter.
- Double-click on QuickBooksDBXX,.
- Set Automatic In Startup type
- Running or Started should be the service status
- If it is not so, click on Start.
- Go to the Recovery tab.
- Choose to Restart the Service from the drop-down menus showing
“ First failure, Second failure, and Subsequent failures”
- Select Apply, then finally click on OK to save the changes.
- Repeat the above steps for QBCFMonitorService.
Option 4: Change Firewall Settings:
- From the Windows Start button, search and launch Control Panel.
- Search the Windows Firewall and hit enter.
- Click on the “Allow an app” option, available through the Windows Firewall option.
- Hit the Change Settings and put a tick on the box under the Public list for the QuickBooks application.
- Hit on OK
- Select Public for the application QuickBooks.
- Run QuickBooks in the multi-user mode to see if the errors are fixed.
Option 5: Add Server to Host File
Windows will be able to identify and connect with the server computer that has the company file saved on it if the server details get added to the Windows Host file.
- To access the Windows hosts file, use Notepad on the computer that is facing the Cannot switch to multi-user mode issue.
- The location of the host file is (C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc\).
- Open Notepad as Admin.
- After the last IP address, type the respective server’s IP address.
- Type the server name by using the Tab key.
- Click on Save and then Exit.
- Check whether QuickBooks multi-user mode not working error is resolved.
Option 6: Notify Server from System
Before starting with the steps below to solve the QuickBooks multi-user not syncing error, turn on the Network Discovery. It needs to be turned on onto the server and workstations that result in the QuickBooks multi user mode not working.
- Go to the Start menu on your server and workstations plagued by the error.
- Into the search bar enter Network and open Network and Sharing Centre.
- Click on the Change Advanced Sharing Settings option. From there Turn on Network Discovery, then go to File > Printer Sharing.
- Get the name of the server.
- Launch the Run Window by using the search bar or Window + R, type CMD and hit Enter.
- In the CMD window, enter text “ipconfig/all:”, then hit the Enter button.
- On the screen next to the Host Name is written the server name
- Note down the Host Name.
- To test the server, move to the workstation. Now to progress further, technical help is required. Especially if you are a newbie. Opt for QuickBooks support.
- Click on the Start menu, then launch the Run command window to proceed.
- Type CMD in the Run window.
- Then, type “ping_[your server name]” and hit Enter. Type server name without the presence of any brackets.
Repeat the aforementioned steps on every workstation that is Unable to run QuickBooks in multi-user mode.
The issues of QuickBooks multi user mode not working errors are pretty common especially if you use the multiple users' mode of the application. However, it is also simple to resolve. Just follow the instructions mentioned in this blog carefully to avoid any further issues. Save this blog for reference, especially for those times when you or an acquaintance face the multi user mode QuickBooks not working error. Stay tuned for more resolutions.