Users witness QuickBooks update error 15243 on their screen while trying to install a new program on their system. The error message clearly indicates the update packages which are not successfully added to the software due to some underlying issues.
This blog sheds light on all the possible symptoms and causes behind QuickBooks error code 15243. Once you are able to understand what is causing the issue, you can easily troubleshoot the error on your own.
Further in this blog, you will read all the possible solutions to fix QuickBooks error 15243 like an expert professional. So, do not get worried about this problem anymore and check out how you can fix it in no time.
Symptoms: QuickBooks Update Error 15243
- QuickBooks error code 15243 crashes any active program on your screen
- The PC crashes while updating the patch
- QuickBooks error 15243 message pops up on the screen
- The system goes slow and stops responding to the commands by keyboard or mouse
- The system hangs after a few intervals.
Note: If you encounter this error very often, start noting the duration when it happens. This might help in troubleshooting the error.
Causes Behind QuickBooks Error 15243
The QuickBooks update error 15243 can occur due to a number of reasons. However, identification of the cause can help you in getting the error fixed in no time. A few common reasons behind the occurrence of QuickBooks error 15243 are listed below.
- Failed QuickBooks installation or corrupt files
- A recent modification (installation or uninstall) in QB software caused a corrupt Windows registry.
- Presence of virus or malware in the system.
- QB files are deleted or moved by mistake
Additional Tips Before You Start Troubleshooting
Before you get started with the step to fix QuickBooks error 15243 on your own, it is important to keep certain things in mind.
1- Don’t forget to take a backup of the QuickBooks company file
- Open QB account and click on the ‘File’ menu
- Click on ‘Backup company’ followed by clicking on ‘Create Local Backup’
- Now follow the sequence of instructions that appear on the screen to create a backup successfully.
2- Do not forget to Update QuickBook Desktop Application
- Close QuickBooks
- Long press the ‘Ctrl’ key to open QuickBooks on the screen
- Click on the ‘Help’ menu and select ‘Update QuickBooks Desktop’ version
- Click on ‘Update now’
- Next, click on ‘Get Updates’
- Lastly, click on ‘Close’
8 Ways To Fix QuickBooks Update Error 15243
Each possible method to resolve QuickBooks Update Error 15243 is tried and tested by the experts. In case, you find any issue with the steps given below or have any queries, connect with the QB support team for instant help.
Method 1: Verify QuickBooks Payroll Subscription
- Open QuickBooks software
- Go to the main menu to find the ‘Employee’ tab
- Next, select My payroll service >> Account and Billing information tab
- Now find the ‘QuickBooks Payroll Account Maintenance’ option to start checking for the subscription.
- Next, shut down the screen and let the program validate the subscription again.
This will help you fix the issue. Try installing the program and see if the issue persists. Move to the next possible solution to fix the issue if you get the error again.
Method 2: Fix The Register Entries
- Search for ‘Command’ on your system
- Next, press Ctrl + Shift keys together to open the permission dialog box on the screen and click on ‘Enter’
- Now, when the black box opens, type Regedit and click on ‘Enter’.
- Now, come back to the registry editor and click on the QuickBooks Error 15243 followed by clicking on ‘Export from the file menu
- Select the folder where you want to store the backup key in the SAVE.IN list, and name it as ‘Backup’.
- Next, confirm that the selected branch is in the export range
- Save the file with ‘Reg file domain’
Method 3: Perform Disk Cleanup
- Click on Start and open the command prompt.
- Write ‘cleanmgr’ on the black screen and press ‘Enter’
- Now click on the section you want to clean from the list shown on the screen and click on ‘OK’ and it is done.
Hope this resolves your issue. If not, move to the next solution.
Method 4: Restore previous Windows settings
- Click on Start
- Search for ‘System restore’ and press the ‘Enter’ button
- Next, click on ‘System’
- Now, fill in the authority to select the previous backup file which you want to restore.
- Last, backup the file
Method 5: Check for Updated QB Payroll Tax Table
It is mandatory to keep the QB payroll tax table updated for effective working. Follow the step below to get the updated version.
- Open QB desktop version
- Go to the ‘Employee section’ and click on ‘Get payroll updates’
- Next, check if there is an update available. Click on ‘Download latest update’
This will start the downloading of the latest version if it is not updated.
Method 6: Check Internet Explorer (IE) Options
- Open the Internet Explorer browser on your computer and go to ‘Settings’.
- Click on the ‘Internet’ option and go to the ‘Security’ tab
- Now, click on ‘Trusted Webpage’ and go to the ‘Address bar’
- In the URL section, for the US. Edition, enter-
- In the URL section, for Canada. Edition, enter
- Click ‘Close’
- Click ‘Apply’ and then OK to save the changes.
Method 7: Repair QuickBooks Desktop File Copy Service (FCS)
- Click on Start
- Open the Run bar, Press Windows + R key simultaneously
- Search for services.msc in the search box and click ‘OK.
- You will see a list of services on your screen.
- Double click on ‘Intuit QuickBooks FCS’
- Next, go to Intuit QuickBooks FCS ‘Startup type’ window and click on the ‘Manual option for the Startup type.
- Lastly, click OK.
This will probably solve your issue. Try to open the QB desktop software again to see if the error persists. If yes, move to the next solution.
Method 8: Repair QuickBooks Desktop Software
- Click on Start
- Open the ‘Control Panel’
- Go to Programs >> Programs & Features
- Select on ‘QuickBooks’ from the list of applications installed on your system
- Click on Uninstall/Change on the top bar
- Click on ‘Yes’
- Now, click on ‘Next’ and select on ‘Repair’
- Again, click on ‘Next’ and select on ‘Repair’
This will start the repair and the process might take a few minutes. Hope this solution helps you in resolving QuickBooks Update Error 15243.
Unable to get QuickBooks Update Error 15243 fixed?
It is time to get in touch with the experts if none of the aforementioned solutions worked for you. The error might be more serious than you think. There are numerous reasons that cause QuickBooks Update Error 15243. Find the actual reason with the help of professionals in no time. Connect with the expert professionals available 24*7 without disking data loss.