QuickBooks Online Vs Desktop: Which One Should I Opt For My Business?
QuickBooks Online and QuickBooks Desktop are powerful products and both have been introduced by Intuit. However, both have numerous strong astounding features that make accounting work simple and easy. QuickBooks has always been utilized by small or medium-sized businesses to manage financial records. But opting for the best one in-between QuickBooks Online Vs Desktop would be a complicated task. Especially when we know that the same Company offers these two amazing accounting software products. Thus, many users are getting confused while choosing the products.
That’s why; here we will show you the real differences between QuickBooks Online and QuickBooks Desktop. We compare each product’s features, pricing, user experience, customer support, reputation, and more. So, it will be easy for you to choose the software as per your choice and your business requirement. Let’s read and learn!
- 1 How To Compare QuickBooks Online Vs Desktop?
- 2 Which Is The Best For My Business: QuickBooks Online Vs Desktop?
- 3 What Features Are Being Offered By QuickBooks Online
- 4 What Features Are Being Offered At QuickBooks Desktop
- 5 For More Info, Dial 24/7 Support Number
How To Compare QuickBooks Online Vs Desktop?
Here, we Compare QuickBooks Online Vs Desktop and have collected eight key differences between them. All are listed underneath; take a glimpse of those noted points:
1- Cloud-Based VS Locally-Installed
The biggest dissimilarity between QuickBooks Online Vs Desktop is – QuickBooks Online is cloud-based and runs over the Internet whereas already been downloaded and installed QuickBooks Desktop on a computer. There is no requirement for a good internet connection for accessing QuickBooks Desktop. Although, you can’t access the software remotely unless you pay extra for hosting. Furthermore, the software can also be flawlessly accessible on mobile applications.
QuickBooks Online is cloud-based and works only when your system has strong internet speed. This is the reason why the security and safety of the product should be taken better care of by Intuit. On the other hand, QuickBooks Desktop is pre-installed, so the program might be at risk. Such software has the potential to be more secure, thus you are responsible for security measures.
3- Pricing Structure
Another difference is, QuickBooks Online has a monthly pricing structure whereas QuickBooks Desktop has a licensing structure. You can buy a license for QuickBooks Desktop more frequently as that will be valid for three years. Moreover, you can pay for yearly updates as well, but unfortunately, there are no monthly payment options.
4- Maximum Users Allowed
When using QuickBooks Online, up to 25 users will be allowed to operate. However, the number of users can be selected depending on the pricing plan. You also may have an unlimited number of time-tracking users. While user licenses for QuickBooks Desktop Pro cost $299 each, which is a bit abrupt. Such a software program limit for users is max three. QuickBooks Desktop Premier caps out at five users, and QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise caps out at 30 users. These QuickBooks products offer strong user permissions.
While QuickBooks Online and Desktop have several fruitful features, In general, QuickBooks Desktop’s features are technically more advanced and developed as compared to QuickBooks Online. QuickBooks Online has an effort-free online banking connectivity feature that matches the bank and credit card transactions with expenses. On the other hand, QuickBooks Desktop provides automatic bank feeds so you can connect and download transactions regularly.
6- Available Automations
QuickBooks Online has comparatively more automation than QuickBooks Desktop, which allows business organizers to manage their books more efficiently. However, because QBO is cloud-based, your entire information (like bank or credit card data) is being synced in real-time.
7- Learning Curve
A variety of short video tutorials are available, also have on-demand webinars and virtual training options. Both applications have an easy setup process as well, so you can freely run in a very short span. Since, both QuickBooks Online and Desktop proffer the same support service to their users. However, both the applications can have long waiting times for the response. But you will get instant 24/7 support when you purchase either QuickBooks Online Advanced or QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise.
8- Access To Capital
Another Benefits Of QuickBooks Online Vs Desktop is that only online users have access to Capital One.
Which Is The Best For My Business: QuickBooks Online Vs Desktop?
If you are looking for top-quality accounting software for managing your business finances, keep your eyes feast at the below. Here, we will explain to you which one QuickBooks Online Vs Desktop should choose for your business needs.
1- Go With QuickBooks Online If
- You need software that is easy to learn and access.
- Want to access your accounting remotely or directly on the mobile apps.
- You want time-saving automation and real-time sync with your bank and credit card.
- Payment processing integrations needed. This helps your customers to directly pay invoices online.
- You need international invoicing.
- You want access to QuickBooks Capital One lending.
2- Go With QuickBooks Desktop If
- You Search for locally installed accounting software.
- Need the industry-specific features of QuickBooks Desktop Premier or QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise.
- Need sales orders.
- You have composite accounting.
However, if you are a Mac user, feel free to choose QuickBooks Desktop. The main difference between QuickBooks Online Vs Desktop Mac is QuickBooks Online only supports Windows, whereas Desktop supports Mac.
What Features Are Being Offered By QuickBooks Online
Features of QuickBooks Online are depending on the plan you have chosen for the subscription. Features vary from plan to plan, so before availing of any QuickBooks, an Online plan investigates properly. Though, one basic feature proffered by QuickBooks Online is easy online banking connectivity. This feature allows users to make credit card transactions anonymously. Other fruitful features are:
- Accounting: QuickBooks Online offers limited accounting ability in their specified plan. In general, almost around 250 accounts are considered in their standard plan. The automatic reconciliation feature makes it easy to bring bank balances together along with the general ledger. Moreover, a budget feature is also available to trouble-freely create monthly, quarterly, or annual budgets.
- Sales: QuickBooks Online offers a sales feature that allows you to keep tracking your customers, generate custom invoices, and make hassle-free payments. You can also generate a payment link for your customers to pay online without confronting any technical glitch.
- Expenses: This feature lets you frequently track all of your business expenses just from a single screen. You will also have an option to pay bills electronically. Furthermore, you will also get a chance to view the status of any bill by the merchant or by the due date.
Also Read: How to Resolve QuickBooks Error Code 15227?
What Features Are Being Offered At QuickBooks Desktop
The most real feature of the QuickBooks Desktop is its use of centers, which provide a central point for all activity. Other helpful features are:
- The Vendor Center: This is the top-rated feature allowing you to manage all vendor activity. From the initial entry of vendor details to the entire information of each vendor, you will get to know. Using Bill Tracker you can view all recently paid bills, the current bills, or pay bills that are due. You can see these things with the options to pay bills by check, ACH transfer, or credit card.
- One-Stop Customer Center: With this, you can manage your customers. Furthermore, having the ability to create invoices, process customer statements, record payments, and process sales orders as well as a sales receipt.
- Inventory: Such an inventory module offers to manage solid inventory. Advanced inventory facilities such as low stock alert notification, adjust reorder levels, track product, and custom fields for tracking information.
After having a glimpse of their features, you can compare QuickBooks Online Vs Desktop. And thereafter can finally decide which software among them is better for your business.
For More Info, Dial 24/7 Support Number
Not satisfied with the above pieces of information regarding QuickBooks Online Vs Desktop? Want to learn more about the prolific software individually? Just place a single call at the given helpline number. Professionals will provide you with correct information so it will be easy to select the beneficial one for your business requirements.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Payroll automation. Users are glad they can run payroll where taxes are calculated automatically and checks are deposited directly. Automated reminders are also very helpful.
- Remote access. One of the benefits of cloud computing is that users can access their accounting systems from wherever they are. It provides them with convenience as well as confidence in a secured online system. And if they manage multiple companies, they can easily switch between companies.
- Integration. QuickBooks Online allows for easy integration with banks, credit card companies, and other financial management software. It has a REST API that can integrate with other solutions such as ERP to automate postings.
- Expense tracking. Users have the option to create rules to make it easier to track expenses. It can be as general or as granular, depending on the user’s needs. They can group things into one broad expense type, or break it down into specifics.
QuickBooks Online and QuickBooks Desktop are both excellent small business accounting software applications, both offering complete double-entry accounting as well as automatic processing of closing entries, but when you use you’ll notice the difference immediately as QuickBooks Online offers a streamlined user interface, while QuickBooks Desktop relies on a flow-chart-based interface. While both provide easy access to a variety of features and functions, only you can decide which one will work best for you.
While many QuickBooks Online aficionados cite anytime/anywhere access as one of the main benefits of going with QuickBooks Online, keep in mind that QuickBooks Desktop can be hosted on a virtual server if you’re looking to combine the reliability of a desktop application with easy cloud access. But aside from cloud
Yes, QuickBooks Desktop 2017 will get phased out. You won’t be able to get technical support from Intuit any longer. If you have any problems with the application or questions about how to use it, you’ll be on your own. Most third-party QuickBooks experts stop supporting older versions as well once Intuit sunsets them since they aren’t able to get Pro Advisor support from them either.
One of the most critical things that stop when Intuit discontinues a version of QuickBooks is security updates. If a security flaw gets identified in an older version of the software application, Intuit won’t patch it and it could leave you vulnerable to data loss or other forms of cyberattacks.
When you switch from QuickBooks Desktop to QuickBooks Online, there are some things you should know. You may notice transactions are missing, or reports are different and don’t match. Before you migrate the company file from the QuickBooks Desktop file to QuickBooks Online, please note that there’s a limitation. Because of the feature differences, not all data will be converted to more robust functionality for your business.
These two products are using different platforms and are designed to work independently from each other. If you want to keep or use the two versions simultaneously, any transactions you’ve created in QuickBooks Online will not automatically show up in the Desktop version or vice versa.
Although, one can move or convert data from one platform to another. QuickBooks Desktop (Windows and Mac) and QuickBooks Online have their separate platforms and can’t be synced for now. They’re also designed to work independently.
QuickBooks Online has its Desktop App. Transactions you’ve entered in the web version will automatically show up in the app as long as the computer is connected to the internet.
- Limited reports. Some customers found that reporting is much better in the desktop version than in the online version. The charts are not customizable, and the report builder is limited. Also, cleaning up outdated reports is time-consuming, and exporting reports to Excel or PDF format is inconsistently reliable.
- Difficult to learn. The simple interface does not match with the rich-set features included. Some users complain that it is not as easy to learn compared with other online software. A user finds it overly complicated, unintuitive, and can easily turn into a nightmare if a mistake in the entry is made. Another user suggested that providing a short video tutorial on simple tasks within the current screen would be a big help.
- Limited inventory management. QuickBooks Online tends to be problematic in addressing inventory management concerns. It can be solved, however, with third-party software.
- Wrong/Missing entries. Some users find it worrisome that the online accounting software sometimes incorrectly uses due dates automatically for their next invoice. At times, when they change a category or department in an invoice, it clears out all data from that invoice, forcing the user to start all over again.