QuickBooks is popular accounting software that manages medium- and small-scale businesses’ accounting and bookkeeping needs. The software consists of a user-friendly interface that enables users to easily carry out all their tasks. However, QuickBooks is also known for various errors that people encounter from time to time. One of them is the QuickBooks error 83. It happens when a file gets saved with an incorrect extension. It can also occur due to incomplete installation. Such an error can halt the user’s work progress. In this article, you’ll find numerous ways to resolve this error code.
What Causes the QuickBooks Error 83?
QB users encounter this error when they don’t have permission to access the company file. The various reasons that result in error 83 are mentioned below.
- A browser or Windows firewall obstructs the QB files or programs.
- Incomplete installation of company folder or file.
- Incorrect file extension.
- Limited connectivity shown by the network icon.
- The company file is being accessed by more than a single user.
- QB users are unable to access, rename, or delete folders or files.
- Inadequate permission for QBDataService XX.
Different Ways to Fix the QuickBooks 83
There are quite many ways to resolve this issue. Given below are some of the most effective ones that you can implement.
Resolve error 83 when creating a company file in QuickBooks
If you are encountering this error while creating a company file in QB, you should follow the process given below. Close QuickBooks Desktop, then do the following.
- Tap the ‘Start‘ button and navigate to ‘File Explorer.’
- Next, go to ‘My Computer.’
- Open C Drive present under ‘My Computer.’
- Right-click and select ‘New.’ Then tap ‘New Folder.’ A new folder will be created.
- Now make a backup company file. Save it within the folder that you made in the C Drive.
- Using this new backup, you can restore the company file and use it as your main company file.
Resolve error 83 when it occurs while you restore the company file
You can fix QuickBooks error 83 while it occurs when you are restoring the company file by following specific steps. This error can get settled in three parts.
1- Confirm the backup file name
- Ensure that your backup company file name does not have any spaces, symbols, or special characters.
- Launch the Windows ‘Start‘ menu.
- Now, click open the ‘File Explorer‘ and find the folder which has your company backup file.
- Right-tap on the file that has .qbb at its name’s end.
- Now choose the option of ‘Rename.’
- Navigate to the folder which has the qbb file and right-tap on it. Choose ‘Rename.’
- Delete all special characters, symbols, or spaces.
- Now, finish the procedure of the company file restoration.
2- Make a portable company file
- Launch the company file where you created the backup.
- Here make a portable company file.
- After you create the portable file, use it for restoring the company file.
- Go to the step mentioned below if you are unable to resolve the error 83.
3- Recover the backup file
If the backup company file is on your server, you need to shift it to a local hard drive (C Drive). Then attempt to recover the file. After resolving the issue, go back to the server and restore the company file.
Resolve error 83 when your company file is stored in a Linux server
If the company file is saved on the Linux server, you can follow these steps. This process will be carried in two different stages.
Step 1: Configure the Linux server.
- Launch the Linux Database Server Manager on your system.
- Set up the server manager as well as the directory. It is there in the Inetd.conf file.
- Lastly, restart your QuickBooks software on the host computers.
Step 2: Configure the host file
- Before you configure the host file, ping the server. It will allow you to get the IP address and server name.
- Connect any one system to the network. Then tap the ‘Start‘ button of the PC and launch the ‘Run‘ box.
- Alternatively, you can hit the Windows + R button at the same time. Then input CMD in the ‘Run‘ box.
- Once you notice the command prompt window on your screen, input ‘Ping [Server Name].’ Now tap the Enter button.
- You will see the IP address and the server name.
For editing the host file, follow these points.
- Close QB on all systems and locate the ‘File Explorer.’
- Navigate to ‘My Computer‘ then go to C:drive\system32\etc\hosts.
- Launch the host file with the aid of a notepad.
- At its base, mention the IP address of the Linux and then mention the Linux server name.
- Save the host file and close the notepad.
- Now open the company file.
Resolve QuickBooks error 83 by using the QuickBooks File Doctor
You can download QuickBooks File doctor to fix error 83 in QB. After downloading it, adhere to the steps below to run it.
- Choose the ‘Company File Issues’ tab from the Tool Hub.
- Choose ‘Run QuickBooks File Doctor.’ It can take around 60 seconds to launch the file doctor.
- If QB is unable to open a file doctor, search for it and then open it manually.
- Select your company file in QuickBooks file doctor. If you are unable to see the file, browse to locate the file and select ‘Search.’
- Choose your file and then select ‘Continue.’
- Type in the QB admin password and then hit ‘Next.’
The different troubleshooting techniques mentioned in this article are quite effective in helping users resolve error 83 in QuickBooks. There are indeed multiple ways to approach this problem. But if you still face this error, there’s no need to worry. You can seek QuickBooks support. The support professionals will help you fix this error easily. You can contact them anytime the need arises.