QuickBooks is undoubtedly one of the powerful and most prominent accounting software out of the globe. But, like other software applications, it also faces troubles with several annoying technical errors. QuickBooks Error 6189 is the one most generic error that many QBs users have been through. Such a specific error code generally appears when you try to open or access the QuickBooks Company File. Once the error has arisen, it significantly means that you are not authorized to access your company file. In such a circumstance, you may be looking for quality assistance to instantly fix this issue. So, today’s post will walk you through entire possible fixes. Just read continuously from top to toe!
What Signifies QuickBooks Error -6189,-816?
QuickBooks Error -6189,-816 is a run-time error that usually evolves while opening the Company File. When you access the company file from a Network Device in a QBs multi-user setup, you can face this problem. The error code QBs 6189 is generally thrown when it detects that a Computer is not a server. Also, when your Windows system is hosting a company file but unfortunately not accurately, the error arises.
Reasons Behind The Appearance Of QuickBooks Error 6189
- QuickBooks running without admin permission.
- Most probably, the company file that you try hard to open is not saved on the server.
- Due to a corrupt or damaged .ND and .TLG files.
- Incomplete/Inappropriate installation of QuickBooks Software.
- Due to malware or virus attack on Windows PC.
- Corruption in Windows Registry could also lead to QuickBooks Error 6189 And 816.
- Mistakenly deleted important files or drivers from the computer system.
Fruitful Solutions To Quickly Fix QuickBooks Error 6189
Endeavor the following provided solutions one after another in order to get rid of QuickBooks Error 6189. Let’s start implementing the proffered solving guide:
Solution 1: Download & Install QuickBooks Tools Hub
QuickBooks Tools Hub is a troubleshooting utility tool effective for fixing various common errors. Whether the issue is associated with the company file or having any network problems, the tool will resolve it soon. Therefore, nothing special has to be performed except downloading and installing the QBs Hub Tool. It is the one-stop fixing support tool for eliminating annoying technical glitches. Here’s how to download & install it on Windows:
- If the QuickBooks application is currently running on your Windows PC, immediately exit.
- Now, browse the official site and download the QuickBooks Tool Hub file (QBsToolHub.exe).
- Save the downloaded file to a location where you can easily find.
- Now, open the downloaded file.
- In the window that appears, follow the one-screen prompted steps to install the tool.
- Once the installation process is done, double-tap the icon on your Windows desktop to open the tool.
- Now, run “Fix my Program” from the Tools Hub to distinctly troubleshoot your problem. The complete involved steps are noted-below:
- First, go to the QuickBooks Tools Hub and choose “Program Problems”.
- Next, select the “Quick Fix my Program” option.
- Now, launch QuickBooks Desktop on your Windows.
- Thereafter, open your .QBW data file to check if the QuickBooks Error -6189 has been sorted out.
If you still face the same problematic QuickBooks error issue, execute the next fixing guide.
Solution 2: Restart Your Server And Computer
- It is required to restart each computer that has access to your company file.
- Also, you need to restart the server, if your data is on a server.
- Continue with the next solution, if you still see QuickBooks Error Code 6189.
Solution 3: Run The QuickBooks Database Manager On Your Server
In general, your server computer stores your QuickBooks Company files. And, your other operating devices that are linked to your network are your workstations. If you are hosting your network on your server computer, QuickBooks Database Manager will help to fix the error. Here’s the effective guideline to run QBDM on your server computer:
- First, open the QuickBooks Tools Hub on your system.
- Now, choose the “Network Issues” tab.
- Afterward, select QuickBooks Database Server Manager. You’ll get a prompt to install QuickBooks on your server if the application is not installed yet.
- In the QuickBooks Database Server Manager Window, tap “Start Scan” if you are able to see your company file(s). If you won’t see this, browse the location of your company file and then click “Start Scan”.
- The QuickBooks Database Server Manager will automatically repair your firewall permissions.
- Once the scanning process gets done, click the “Close” button.
- Open QuickBooks Company files on your server computer and your workstations at which your network is connected. If you still see QuickBooks Error 6189, jump to the next solving guide.
Solution 4: Rename The Network Data File (.ND) And Transaction Log File (.TLG)
Both .ND and .TLG are configuration files that enable QuickBooks to use a QBs company file. You may confront QuickBooks Error -6189,-816 if these files are corrupt / damaged. However, the files may get auto regenerated once you rescan them by using QuickBooks Database Server Manager. After that only you will probably be able to open the company file. If that really happens, rename ND and TLG files and check if it solves the error. Steps involved for renaming the files are mentioned beneath:
- Navigate the folder where your company file is stored.
- Locate the files having the same name as your company files, but are saved with extensions .ND and .TLG:
- Now, right-click each one of these files separately, and then click “Rename”.
- Note: Make sure to add ‘OLD’ at the end of ND and TLG filename. For example, company_file.qbw.nd.OLD.
- Now, try to re-open QuickBooks and sign in to your company file to open it.
- If you still get the same error, implement the next fixes.
Solution 5: Transfer Your Company Files To Your Local Hard Drive
If your company file is currently stored on a removable drive, move the .QBW file to your local hard drive. Transferring the file to the local drive could eliminate your problem.
If Nothing Has Worked Out, Call Us At 24/7 Online QuickBooks Support
I just hope that you have seriously gone through the whole fixing procedures one-by-one. If unfortunately, none of the aforementioned solutions is worked out to resolve QuickBooks Error 6189, call us. We are talented and highly experienced tech specialists working round the clock to assist you. Thus, place a call on the given toll-free number and stay connected with us unless your error gets sorted out.