While installing the latest QuickBooks version or switching from pro to premiere, you might encounter the QuickBooks error 1904. It happens due to improper installation of Microsoft components that are otherwise essential to run QuickBooks on Windows PC. Sometimes a damaged Microsoft C++ file also leads to error code 1904 in QuickBooks. The error message reads on-screen as Error 1904.module C:\Program Files (X86)\QuickBooks 2018\ ICWrapper.dll failed to register.
The above message is an actual example of the error code 1904, however, the generic message displays like this – Error 1904: [file path/name/extension] failed to register, followed up with a cryptic code HRESULT-2147220473. QuickBooks error 1904 also pops up when someone tries to upgrade their operating system. It could be from Windows 8 to Windows 10 or Windows Vista to Windows 8 or alike. Trying hard to fix error 1904 but couldn’t succeed? This troubleshooting guide will definitely help you overcome the problem and run QuickBooks hassle-free.
What’s Causing QuickBooks Error 1904 Module Failed to Register?
There could be multiple reasons that trigger error code 1904 in QuickBooks. We have discussed some of the above. Whenever you encounter this error code, then the first thing you must see if you are facing other QuickBooks error codes as well. If yes, then check they have either of these extensions – ICWrapper.dll, qbprefs.dll, RcnFndRequestHandler.dll, and qbupdate.exe. If you found so, then the QuickBooks error 1904 including others must be occurring due to a damaged Microsoft Visual C++ file component. Here are some other reasons behind error 1904.
- Corrupted or damaged company files. The incorrect file settings could be the issue.
- Damaged MS Visual C++ files.
- Upgrading the Windows to the latest version and forgetting to reboot immediately after.
- Windows security applications as hampering Windows installation.
How to fix QuickBooks error 1904 module failed to register?
That’s pretty simple. You just have to follow a few simple steps to resolve the problem. Before following the troubleshooting steps, check if you are facing the error code 1904 in the following case.
- While running Bitdefender.
- You have recently installed Adobe Flash Player.
- You see an extension name QBversinTool.dll in the error 1904.module failed to register QuickBooks warning message.
In all these three cases you should jump over to the last step i.e., special cases troubleshooting methods. Now let’s begin the troubleshooting.
Method 1. Run QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool
QuickBooks Install Diagnostic tool is an in-house QuickBooks tool that can resolve the nastiest errors quickly. Upgrade to Windows 10, 64-bit for best user experience. Here’s what you need to do.
Step 1. Install QuickBooks Tool Hub
- Ensure QuickBooks is off and not even running in the background.
- Download the latest version of QuickBooks Tool Hub.
- By default, it saves in the Downloadfolder under File Explorer.
- Locate the file, right-click on QuickBooksToolHub.exe and click Run as administrator.
- Follow the on-screen instructions and install the tool on your Windows.
Step 2. Run QuickBooks Install Diagnostic tool
- Search for QuickBooks Tool Hub on your PC.
- Open the tool and select Installation Issues.
- Now open QuickBooks Install Diagnostic tool.
- Run the tool, it will begin troubleshooting QuickBooks error 1904, however, the process may take up to 20 minutes.
- Once the process completes, restart your computer and the error 1904 should resolve.
Running a QuickBooks install diagnostic tool couldn’t resolve the error 1904? No worries, switching to a built-in administrator account will tackle the issue. Method 2 will explain the steps.
Method 2. Change the Windows Administrator Settings
The next solution is to activate the built-in administrator account and switch to a Windows administrator account. Follow the below steps.
Step 1. Activate the built-in administrator first
- Click the Start icon on your Windows PC.
- Click on the Search bar, type CMD, right-click on the command prompt and click Run as administrator on the drop-down list.
- A black screen known as command prompt will open, type net user administrator/active: yes, and hit Enter.
- By doing this you have activated the built-in administrator.
Step 2. Switch to the Windows administrator account
- Press CTRL+ALT+Delete keys on your keyboard to open the Task Manager.
- Now click Switch user windows users.
- Click the Windows icon and select the icon that displays on the upper right corner of the display.
- Again press CTRL+ALT+Delete and select the default administrator account.
Step 3. Hide the Windows built-in administrator account
- Click the Search bar, type CMD, right-click on the command prompt.
- Now click Run as administrator on the drop-down list.
- Again a black screen will open, type net user administrator/active: no, and hit Enter.
- The Windows built-in administrator is hidden now.
Step 4. Change the user permissions
- Click the Start icon and search for the File Explorer.
- Go to the path C:\program Files\common files.
- Right-click on the Common Files folder and click Properties.
- Click the Security tab then click Edit.
- Choose Users under the Group or Username section.
- Now under the Permission for users column click the Allow boxes in front of
- Read & Execute
- List folder content
- Click Apply and click Ok.
Step 5. Reinstall QuickBooks to get rid of QuickBooks error 1904
- Navigate to the QuickBooks homepage.
- Download and install the QuickBooks software on your system.
- Once the installation finishes, click the Start icon and sign out of the administrator account.
- Now again sign in to your windows account.
- Click the Start menu.
- Search for CMD, right-click on the CMD icon, and click Run as administrator.
- On the command window, type net user administrator/ active: no and hit Enter to again hide the admin account.
Special Case Troubleshooting Methods for Error 1904 QuickBooks
The following are the special case troubleshooting steps to deal with error 1904. Follow them as per the particular case.
Special case 1. While running Bitdefender
First of all, add QuickBooks to the Bitdefender exclusion list. Now if you are running a 32-bit Windows OS, then add C:\Program Files\Common Files. Otherwise, if you are working on a 64 bit Windows OS, then add C:\Program Files\Intuit (C:\Program Files(x86)\Intuit. Make sure to not disable the Bitdefender since it is not going to solve the problem.
Also Read: How To Fix QuickBooks Update Error 1603?
Special case 2. You have recently installed Adobe Flash Player
- Run QuickBooks Install Diagnostic tool.
- Open the Run dialogue box by clicking Windows + R keys.
- Type Control Panel and hit Enter.
- Go to Uninstall a program section.
- Choose Adobe Flash Player ActiveX and click Uninstall.
- Follow the on-screen instructions until QuickBooks uninstalls.
- Now again download the Adobe Flash Player from Adobe.com.
Special case 3. If you see QBversinTool.dll in error 1904 QuickBooks message
- Run the test first to determine the actual reason for the error.
- Click the Start icon, type Notepad, and hit Enter.
- On the Notepad, type QBTEST.
- Now save the file to either C:\Program Files\Common Files or C:\Program Files\(x86)\Common Files.
- Finally, install QuickBooks as an administrator to get rid of the 1904 error.
Still facing QuickBooks error 1904.module failed to register? Call QuickBooks support
After trying these troubleshooting methods to overcome error 1904, you should be running QuickBooks hassle-free. Changing the Windows administrator settings and running QuickBooks Install Diagnostic tool will help a lot in getting rid of the error 1904 QuickBooks. However, these steps might require an expert’s assistance due to the complexity involved. At any point in time, if you feel trouble dealing with QuickBooks installation error 1904, then simply drop us a call and our experts will get back to you. Call us today!